All-Purpose Streusel Topping
Prep Time:15 Minutes
- 1 ⅓ cups all-purpose flour
- ⅔ cup plus 2 tablespoons packed brown sugar
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ cup old-fashioned oats
- ½ cup chopped walnuts or almonds
- 12 tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature
- 315.45ml all-purpose flour
- 157.73ml plus 2 tablespoons packed brown sugar
- 2.13g cinnamon
- 1.07g kosher salt
- 118.29ml old-fashioned oats
- 118.29ml chopped walnuts or almonds
- 153.36g unsalted butter, room temperature
Having streusel topping on hand is a great tool for making a fruit crumble at the spur of the moment. You can even bake the streusel on its own crumbled up on a sheet pan to us as an ice cream topping.
In a medium bowl, mix flour, brown sugar, cinnamon, salt, oats, and chopped nuts.
Chunk up the butter and add to dry ingredients. Smash everything together using your fingers. As the butter warms, it will come together. Once it resembles cookie dough it is ready.
If using immediately be sure to cover the top of pie or crumble completely so that none of the fruit shows but do not press the crumbles into the filling.
If using the topping within 3-5 days, store in an airtight container in refrigerator or, for longer storage, you can freeze it.
Feel free to use other spices that complement a particular fruit you are using. Candied ginger is delicious with an apple/pear combo, half and half combo of white sugar and brown sugar with chopped almonds is delicious with berries.