Farro Sausage Casserole
Prep Time:10 Minutes
Cook Time:PT1H25M1 Hr 15 Min
- 1 cup farro, rinsed and drained
- 1 pound Our Own bulk breakfast sausage or your favorite
- 2 cups diced sweet onion
- ½ pound sliced mushrooms
- 1 (10 ounces) bag frozen spinach, thawed and drained
- 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- 2 cups milk
- 6 eggs
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly cracked pepper
- ½ teaspoon red chile pepper
- 2 cups grated cheese (Gruyere, Fontina, provolone, mozzarella, cheddar or your favorite)
- 236.59ml farro, rinsed and drained
- 453.59g Our Own bulk breakfast sausage or your favorite
- 473.18ml diced sweet onion
- 226.8g sliced mushrooms
- 1 (283.5g) bag frozen spinach, thawed and drained
- 236.59ml grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- 473.18ml milk
- 6 eggs
- 4.26g kosher salt
- 2.13g freshly cracked pepper
- 2.13g red chile pepper
- 473.18ml grated cheese (Gruyere, Fontina, provolone, mozzarella, cheddar or your favorite)
Farro is an ancient whole grain that has been cultivated the same way for thousands of years. It adds delicious heartiness to this rich and cheesy casserole.
Preheat oven to 350°F. Spray an 11x7-inch baking dish with non-stick spray.
Place farro in a saucepan and cover with two inches of water. Bring to a boil, reduce to simmer, cover and cook for 45 minutes. Drain excess water and set aside to cool.
In a large sauté pan cook sausage over medium heat, breaking it up as it cooks. Remove sausage from pan and set aside to cool in a large bowl. Leave 1 tablespoon of fat in the pan and reserve an extra tablespoon for later. Add onions to pan and cook for five minutes. Remove and add to bowl with sausage.
Add the reserved tablespoon of fat back to the pan and cook mushrooms until just tender. Remove from pan and add to sausage mixture.
Stir 1/2 cup grated Parmesan into sausage mixture.
Spread farro on the bottom of the prepared baking dish. Place spinach over that, then the sausage mixture.
In a separate bowl, whisk together the milk with the eggs and seasonings. Pour evenly over the spinach. Top with remaining Parmesan and grated cheese. Bake 20-30 minutes or until set and golden.