Baked Pasta with Vegetarian Sausage and Arrabbiata Sauce
Prep Time:15 Minutes
Cook Time:PT70M55 Minutes
- ¾ pound short or small pasta (small shells, penne, macaroni, ziti, rotini, fusilli, radiator, etc.)
- 1 pound Italian vegetarian sausage (or any Italian sausage)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 cups diced eggplant
- 2 cups sliced mushrooms
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- ¼ cup Italian parsley, chopped
- 1 (22 ounces) jar arrabbiata sauce (or your favorite pasta sauce)
- 4 cups grated mozzarella, provolone or Italian-cheese blend
- 340.19g short or small pasta (small shells, penne, macaroni, ziti, rotini, fusilli, radiator, etc.)
- 453.59g Italian vegetarian sausage (or any Italian sausage)
- 25.56g olive oil
- 946.35ml diced eggplant
- 473.18ml sliced mushrooms
- 2.13g salt
- 4.26g Italian seasoning
- 59.15ml Italian parsley, chopped
- 1 (623.69g) jar arrabbiata sauce (or your favorite pasta sauce)
- 946.35ml grated mozzarella, provolone or Italian-cheese blend
This baked pasta dish can be prepped ahead of time and baked when you’re ready to eat. We have several delicious brands of vegetarian sausage, fresh and frozen, that are great with this recipe.
Preheat oven to 375˚F. Cook pasta according to package instructions, drain and set aside.
Crumble and brown sausage in a large skillet. When browned, transfer to a 13x9-inch baking dish.
Return pan to heat and add olive oil. Add eggplant and cook over medium-high heat for 2 minutes. Add mushrooms, season with salt and continue to cook until all is beginning to brown. Add to baking dish.
Add Italian seasoning, parsley, sauce and drained pasta to baking dish. Mix to coat everything evenly with sauce, then cover with cheese.
Spray dull side of a piece of foil with non-stick cooking spray. Cover dish with foil, sprayed side down, being careful not to let foil touch cheese. (Or place a piece of parchment paper between foil and cheese.)
Bake for 50 minutes or until bubbly. Remove foil and turn oven to broil for 4 minutes or until cheese is golden brown.