- 8 cups cubed challah bread
- 8 eggs
- 1/2 cup half-and-half
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh herbs, or 1 1/2 tablespoons mixed dried herbs (thyme, sage, parsley, rosemary)
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon red chili pepper or to taste
- 1/2 pound bulk breakfast sausage
- 1/2 cup diced red pepper
- 1/2 cup diced yellow onion
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- 2 cups grated cheese (optional)
Preheat oven to 350°F.
Cover bottom of a buttered 9x9x2-inch baking dish with bread cubes.
Whisk together eggs, half-and-half, herb blend, salt and both peppers.
Pour over bread cubes.
Brown sausage in a skillet.
Remove from pan to a paper towel-lined plate, reserving 1 tablespoon fat.
Sauté pepper, onions and mushrooms until just tender.
Fold sausage and vegetables into bread mixture.
Bake for 35-40 minutes or until a knife inserted comes out clean.
Remove strata from oven and sprinkle with cheese.
Place under boiler for 3 minutes to melt.