Whether you want to buy a single egg, or pre-packed eggs, you have a lot of choices at our Markets – cage-free, organic, Omega-3 enhanced, white or brown, certified humane and conventional – ALL from Northwest family operations.
We get our Northwest-grown eggs from Stiebrs Farms in Yelm, including Grade AA eggs from hens that are hormone, steroid and stimulant free and raised on vegetarian diets. We offer duck eggs from Stiebr’s as well. Stiebrs Farms grows and mills its own grain to feed their chickens.
Stiebrs eggs are delivered twice each week to ensure freshness.
Stiebrs has earned a certification from the Humane Farm Animal Care program. Certified Humane eggs are certified by the Humane Farm Animal Care program, the first and only nonprofit organization to develop industry-independent, scientifically sound standards that protect the welfare of animals involved in the food production process.
We carry only Northwest dairy farm milk in our Markets and pull milk off the shelf five days before its “pull date” to ensure customers get fresh product they have time to consume. Fresh milk is delivered to our markets two to three times a week in a variety of containers – from cartons to glass – and in every fat level – nonfat, 1 percent, 2 percent and “whole,” as well as lactose free.
We are excited about our glass milk bottle program with Twin Brook Creamery in Lynden – you pay a small deposit for the glass bottle that is returned to you when you bring the bottle back. Glass bottles are said to better protect the taste of milk as well as its freshness because glass keeps the milk colder and air doesn’t leak in.
We carry brands representing all methods of production and pasteurization* methods – Organic Valley, Twin Brook Creamery, Fresh Breeze Organic Dairy and Darigold. Continue reading to learn why.
- Darigold- Ultra pasteurized and homogenized (ultra pasteurization, in which the milk is held at 280 degrees for two seconds, is the most common method for milk, half-and-half and heavy cream, because it’s the least expensive, the fastest, and produces the most stable shelf-life product ). Darigold is the fourth largest dairy farmer coop in the country. They also process and bottle Organic Valley’s milk. Their efficient milk crate system requires no cardboard.
- Organic Valley- Ultra pasteurized half-gallons and “HTST” (High Temp, Short Time) and homogenized gallons. In HTST, the milk is held at 161 degrees for 16 seconds by going through metal pipes that are heated from the outside. Organic Valley is a national coop of more than 1,600 family farms, including 12 in the Northwest. The milk is always distributed within the region it is produced.
- Fresh Breeze Organic Dairy – This fifth-generation family farm in Lynden offers vat pasteurization and homogenized milk (vat pasteurization – often called the most “gentle” method – is the most expensive for producers. It involves holding the milk in vat heated to 145 degrees for 30 minutes, then quickly cooling it to 39 degrees.). All of their processing is done at the farm, so it’s a “from cow to bottle” program. In fact, our signs say “From Moo to You in 48 Hours!”
- Twin Brook Creamery– Another fifth-generation family farm in Lynden, Twin Brook offers vat pasteurized and non-homogenized (cream at the top) milk. Their unique glass milk bottle program isn’t found in many stores, and Twin Brook’s milk all comes from purebred Jersey cows – most milk in the US comes from Holsteins, which produce more milk, while Jerseys are known for the richness of their milk. They raise the feed for their animals, as well, so have total control from production to processing. Twin Brook also provides us with their very popular chocolate milk.
* Pasteurization is conducted to kill harmful organisms in milk, and the method used can affect the taste.