- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 cup chopped carrot
- 1 pound yellow split peas
- 1 ham bone
- 2 cups cubed ham (or 2 meaty smoked ham hocks)
- 8 cups water
- 1-2 tablespoons hot sauce
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Chopped parsley and red pepper flakes to garnish (optional)
Heat oil in a large stockpot. Add onion, celery, and carrot.
Cook for about 10 minutes or until soft.
Add remaining ingredients.
Cook soup over low heat for 2 to 2 1/2 hours, or until peas are falling apart and soup is thickened.
Remove ham hocks from soup if using.
Pull meat from bones, shred and return to pot. Stir to blend.
Serve garnished with parsley and pepper flakes if desired.