- 3 poblano peppers, stemmed, seeded, cut into chunks
- 3 Anaheim peppers, stemmed, seeded, cut into chunks
- 2 medium onions, cut into large pieces
- 3 pounds boneless chicken, diced
- Vegetable oil
- 6 medium garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 2 jalapeño peppers, stemmed, seeded, minced, divided
- 2 (15 ounce) cans cannellini or Great Northern beans, rinsed and drained
- 3 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- Juice of 2 limes
- 1/4 cup minced fresh cilantro
- 4 green onions, thinly sliced
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Shredded cheese and sour cream to garnish
In a food processor, process peppers and onions to make consistency of chunky salsa (work in batches to not overload bowl).
Season chicken with salt and pepper.
Heat a heavy-bottomed soup pot or Dutch oven over medium-high heat and lightly coat bottom with oil.
Working in batches, brown chicken, transfer to a plate and set aside.
Pour off most of fat from pan and reduce heat to medium.
Add chile-onion mixture, garlic, cumin, coriander and half of jalapeños. Season with salt and pepper.
Cover and cook, stirring occasionally, until vegetables soften, about 10 minutes.
Add beans and 1 cup of chicken broth. Mash about 1/4 of beans with a potato masher or fork.
Add chicken with any accumulated juices and remaining broth.
Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer, covered, stirring occasionally, for about 20 minutes.
Add remaining jalapeños, lime juice, cilantro and green onions.
Adjust seasoning and serve topped with cheese and sour cream.