- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cups chopped onion
- 1 cup each chopped celery, carrot and green pepper
- 2 cups sliced mushrooms
- 1 small zucchini (about 1 cup) diced
- 2 tablespoons chopped garlic
- 2 tablespoons Heart Healthy® spice blend (available in our Bulk Foods) or your favorite spice blend (the quantity you’ll need may vary)
- 1/2 cup red wine
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 quart low-sodium chicken or vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup chopped parsley
- 1-2 cups cooked freekeh
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Grated Parmesan to serve
Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add onions and all the vegetables. Cook for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add garlic, cook for one minute. Add spice blend and cook for one minute. Add wine and cook until nearly all of it has evaporated. Add tomatoes and broth. Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer and cover. Simmer for one hour, stirring occasionally. Add freekeh and parsley. Salt and pepper to taste. Cook about five minutes to heat through. Serve with Parmesan.
This dish is also great with cooked Italian sausage.