- 1/2 pound hot Italian sausage
- 1 cup diced yellow onion
- 1/2 cup chopped red pepper
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 3 mushrooms, chopped (about 1 cup)
- 1/2 cup sun-dried tomatoes (optional)
- 2 large handfuls spinach
- 1/2 cup ricotta cheese
- 1 (1-lb.) ball pizza dough, room temperature
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
Brown sausage in a skillet over medium heat, breaking into small pieces as it cooks.
Add onion, pepper, garlic, seasoning and mushrooms to skillet. Cook for about five minutes. Add tomatoes and spinach. Cook until spinach is wilted and liquid is evaporated. Remove to a bowl and let cool to room temperature.
Gently fold in ricotta. This mixture can be made a day ahead and refrigerated overnight.
Preheat oven to 450°F.
Divide dough in half. Roll out into a circle, about 12 inches in diameter. Place half of filling and half of mozzarella on one side, leaving a one-inch border. Fold other half of dough over filling, creating a half-moon shape. Seal edge by crimping dough over itself. Cut three small holes in top to create a vent. Repeat with remaining dough and filling.
Brush with olive oil and bake for 15 minutes or until deep golden brown. If desired, brush with olive oil before serving.