- Environmental Concerns: In March 2021, we reinstituted the use of reusable bags by customers at our check stands in and Produce after a year-long suspension. We ask customers to ensure the bags are clean. We’re currently experiencing shortages of compostable trays but will reinstate them as soon as possible. The state of Washington’s COVID-19 Emergency Declaration allows retailers to temporarily suspend compliance with regulations around recycling, Styrofoam and plastic bags. We are committed to environmental stewardship, and we intend to return to our pre-pandemic level of recycling; use of compostable trays in Meat, Seafood and the Deli; and minimizing our use of plastic bags at the check stands.
- Ads (sales): Big Board Buys continues to offer our best values in all our markets, running Wednesday-Tuesday each week. We also offer dozens of bargains with Biweekly Buys. We have many non-advertised items on sale throughout our markets – look for the red shelf signs. Market Buys has been discontinued.
- Self-serve bars, cases and products: We are in the process of slowly reopening some of these features within our market, under the guidance of local health authorities. For example, we’ve replaced some “scoop bins” in Bulk Foods with “gravity bins” and have brought back Bulk spices. We provide disposable gloves alongside these features. We still aren’t allowing customers to use their own containers from home for bulk items. And for bulk items still in scoop bins, we are prepackaging these products in random amounts. Our soup bars are open again and our hot bars are beginning to be opened – please check with your market.
- Safety Practices: We sanitize all shopping carts, hand baskets, children’s carts and motorized shopping carts by wiping down with sanitizers after each use. Checkers sanitize all surfaces throughout the day. Hand sanitizers are available at each check stand and entrance. We also have mobile hand-washing stations at our entrances and/or near Produce. You’ll see disposable gloves in various areas for customers – in Bulk Foods, for example.
- No groups: We ask that our customers come to the market with as few people as possible to minimize crowding.
- Samples and cooking demos: Suspended until further notice.
- Utensils, Testers and Cups: We continue to swap out plastic utensils where they’re offered with individually wrapped plastic utensils. “Testers” for makeup or other Health & Beauty products that are applied onto, or close to, the face, remain suspended for now. In addition, we’re still not filling reusable coffee cups in our espresso shops on Bainbridge Island and in Poulsbo.
- Catering: Our wedding cake services are up and available.
- Market Fresh Party Platters: Check with your market to see if these catering specialties are again available. This may vary by market and product availability (our Central Market in Mill Creek will not be offering these until its remodel is completed in mid-2021).
- Plexiglass: We’ve installed plexiglass shields at our check stands since customers and checkers aren’t able to remain six feet apart.
The inside scoop on produce – what's freshest, who's growing what, and how that storm is going to impact your salad next weekend!
Subscribe by Email Subscribe by RSS