We started implementing specific safety practices the first week of March and have continued to add to these practices as health department guidelines evolve and new information become available.
- Carts: All shopping carts, hand baskets, children’s carts and motorized shopping carts are wiped down with sanitizers after each use.
- Check stands: Our checkers sanitize all check stand surfaces throughout the day, and the credit/debit card keypads are sanitized between each customer. We’ve also minimized the need to sign for credit card purchases.
- Market wide: Our staff sanitizes high-touch surfaces in all areas of the markets throughout each day, including cooler doors and backroom areas.
- Hand sanitizers: Available for customer use at each entrance and all check stands.
- Mobile hand washing stations: Watch for them at entrances and/or near Produce.
- Gloves: We’ve provided disposable gloves in various areas in the market for customers to use as they shop.
- Face masks and safety goggles: Our employees are encouraged to wear face masks, and we’re working to gather more nonsurgical paper and fabric masks for our folks. We are also looking into a supply of safety goggles and face shields for our staff to wear while at work.
- Samples and cooking demos: Suspended until further notice.
- Self-serve bars and cases: Suspended until further notice. We’re pre-packing many of the items from those bars so you can still enjoy salads, hot food and antipasti at home.
- Bulk foods: Scoop bins and bulk spices are no longer available, and we’ve prepacked many of these items. Ask an employee for what you need. We’ve suspended the use of containers and bags from home.
- Reusable bags: We’ve temporarily suspended the use of reusable bags and are bagging all groceries in unused paper or plastic bags only. We’ve temporarily brought plastic bags back where they’ve been banned and waived the 5-cent fee in those markets.
- Plastic utensils: We’ve swapped out unwrapped, compostable utensils with individually wrapped plastic utensils in our food service areas
- Testers: We’ve removed “testers” for makeup or other Health & Beauty products that are applied on or close to the face.
- Coffee cups: We’re no longer filling reusable coffee cups in our espresso shops on Bainbridge Island and Central Market Poulsbo.
- Catering: We are temporarily suspending orders for our Market Fresh Party Platters and wedding cakes.