The vast majority of our customers wear a mask when shopping, especially since the Governor’s order in July, and we are profoundly grateful. But we have had a few customers continue to shop without a mask, causing our employees to worry about their safety and that of their families. So we revisited the exemption we’ve allowed for customers who have a medical reason for not wearing a mask. These were very difficult conversations. On the one hand, we want to do all we can to keep our employees and customers as safe as possible. On the other hand, there are some people who truly cannot wear a mask. How could we possibly make a decision that would exclude some of our customers from our markets? We turned it over and over again, trying to find a way through that ensures we do all we can to keep everyone safe while not excluding anyone. But we kept coming back to our belief that when someone isn’t wearing a mask, regardless of reason, they could potentially spread the virus without knowing. And so, in our commitment to keeping our markets as safe as possible, we’ve decided to require all shoppers wear a mask.
- Why? Public health experts agree that face coverings are an important tool in preventing COVID-19 and research is showing that widespread use is effective in minimizing community spread of the virus. The more people wear masks, the safer we all are.
- What if I don’t have a mask? If you don’t have a mask, we are happy to give you one. You may also use any cloth covering that can cover your nose and mouth with a couple layers of fabric, such as a bandana or scarf.
- Are there exceptions? Children 2 years of age or younger are not required to wear a mask.
- Do I still need to practice social distancing if not wearing a mask? Face coverings significantly reduce the risk of transmitting the virus to others but does not eliminate it entirely. So it’s still important to maintain a distance of six feet between yourself and others when in public, even when wearing a mask.
- How can I shop for groceries if I cannot or choose not to wear a mask? We now offer online ordering in our markets, where most of our items are available for delivery or pickup. Visit shop.townandcountrymarkets.com.