- 1 3- to 4-lb. beef roast (shoulder or chuck roast)
- 1 (.7 to1 oz.) packet Italian dressing mix
- 4 tablespoons olive or vegetable oil, divided
- 1 cup pepperoncini, sliced (pickle aisle or Olive Bar)
- 1/2 cup juice from pepperoncini
- 1 quart beef broth, or enough to cover half of roast
Preheat oven to 325°F.
Mix together dressing mix with 2 tablespoons of oil. Rub all of mixture on all sides of roast.
Heat remaining oil in a large pot or Dutch oven and thoroughly brown meat.
Add pepperoncini, juice and broth to cover half of roast. Roast for 1 1/2 - 2 hours or until roast is as tender as desired (you cannot overcook).
Serve as a traditional pot roast or shred and make Italian beef sandwiches with melted provolone.