- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- 5 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 bunch flat-leaf parsley, stemmed, chopped and divided
- 6 Roma tomatoes, diced, divided
- 1 1/2 cups dry white wine
- Kosher salt and black pepper to taste
- 4-5 pounds mussels or clams, cleaned
- Crusty bread to serve
Add olive oil to a large pot or skillet over medium-high heat.
Sauté onion for 1 minute.
Add garlic and cook for 30 seconds more.
Add half of parsley, half of tomatoes and wine. Season lightly with salt and pepper and bring to a boil.
Add mussels or clams. Cover tightly and steam until shellfish open, 4-6 minutes. Shake pot frequently during steaming time and keep covered as much as possible.
Discard any shells that do not open.
Serve immediately in a large bowl with all of cooking liquid.
Garnish with remaining parsley and tomatoes, additional black pepper and lots of crusty bread to soak up broth.