- 1 medium sweet potato cooked and mashed (2 cups mashed)
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup whole milk
- 1/2 cup ricotta cheese
- 1 tablespoon berbere spice blend (in Bulk Foods)
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- Butter and oil for cooking
In a bowl, mix together the mashed sweet potato, onion, cilantro and garlic. In a separate bowl, whisked together the eggs and milk. Stir in the ricotta cheese. Stir this mixture into the sweet potatoes. Stir together the berbere, salt, pepper, flour and baking powder.
Coat a skillet or griddle with butter and oil over medium heat. Ladle scant quarter-cup of batter into skillet, pressing down to flatten pancake. Cook for about 2 minutes per or until golden brown and cooked through.
Serve warm or at room temperature with a yogurt cilantro mint sauce or a slice of ham.
Can be made one day ahead.