- 2 links (about 1 pound) Spanish chorizo, coarsely chopped
- 1 medium onion, medium chopped
- 1 carrot, medium chopped
- 1 stick celery, medium chopped
- 1 large garlic clove, finely chopped
- 1/2 green bell pepper, medium chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon sweet or smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can diced tomatoes in juice
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups water
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 2 bay leaves
- 3 (15-ounce) cans black beans, rinsed and drained
In a heavy-bottomed soup pot on medium-high heat, cook chorizo until slightly browned. Remove and set aside, leaving any fat in pot.
In the same pot, add onion, carrot, celery, garlic, bell pepper, paprika, cumin, oregano and salt over moderate heat, adding oil as needed. Cook until vegetables are slightly softened, about 10 minutes.
Add cooked chorizo, tomatoes, broth, water, vinegar, bay leaves and beans and simmer 20 minutes, partially covered.
If desired, lightly mash some beans with a potato masher to slightly thicken soup.