- 1/4 pound bacon
- 1 large leek, white and green parts, washed well and thinly sliced
- 2 (3.5-ounce) cans smoked oysters, including oil or juice, chopped if desired*
- 10 cups dried bread cubs or chunks
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh sage
- 1 tablespoon chopped, fresh Italian parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 3 cups turkey or chicken stock
- 2 eggs, beaten (optional)
Preheat oven to 350°F.
In a skillet, cook bacon until crisp. Remove bacon, reserving fat, and set aside. Cook leek in reserved bacon fat until the green parts begin to soften. Remove from heat and crumble bacon back into pan.
In a large bowl, gently combine remaining ingredients.
Spray a 9x13-inch baking dish with pan spray. Place mixture into dish and bake uncovered for 45 minutes on the middle rack of an oven.
* Smoked mussels or clams also work well in the place of the smoked oysters.