- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 carrot, chopped into small pieces
- 1 onion, chopped into small pieces
- 1 large stalk celery, chopped into small pieces
- 3 Yukon gold or red potatoes, diced
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon Old Bay or your favorite seafood seasoning (optional)
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 16 ounces clam juice (fish or chicken stock work, too)
- 2 cans smoked oysters, roughly chopped
- 2 cups heavy cream (evaporated milk works, too)
- Salt and black pepper to taste
In a large saucepan over medium heat, add the butter and all vegetables. Sauté until vegetables soften, seasoning lightly with salt and pepper. Add the garlic, seasoning and flour. Sauté for one more minute, making sure to coat everything with the flour. Add clam juice or stock, stir well to dissolve the flour and bring to a boil. Cook until the potatoes are cooked though. Turn heat to low and add the chopped smoked oysters and the cream or milk. Stir until heated through and remove from heat.
Season further to taste with salt and pepper as desired.
Additional options include adding chopped cooked bacon or fresh herbs!