- 1 cup (uncooked) wild rice mix or mixed-grain pilaf, cooked according to package instructions (for best flavor, use chicken or mushroom broth)
- Olive oil
- 1 small onion, diced (about 1 cup)
- 1/2 pound cremini mushrooms, sliced
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh rosemary
- 1 cup toasted, chopped walnuts
- 1 cup shredded smoked cheddar cheese
- 2 medium acorn squash (or your favorite winter
- squash), halved and seeded
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Heat a medium saucepan to medium-high and lightly coat with oil. Add onion and mushrooms. Sauté until liquid evaporates and mushrooms start to brown.
In a mixing bowl, combine onions and mushrooms with prepared rice mix or grain pilaf, rosemary, walnuts and cheese. Season with salt and pepper.
Place squash cut side up in a lightly oiled baking dish (trim bottom to get them to sit flat). Brush with oil and season with salt and pepper. Fill generously with stuffing. Cover with foil and bake at 375°F for 45 minutes. Remove cover and bake 20-30 minutes longer, or until squash is tender.