- 4 sweet or hot Italian sausages
- Olive oil
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded, thinly sliced
- 1 green pepper, seeded, thinly sliced
- 1 medium red onion, thinly sliced
- 2 large cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1 1/2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1/2 cup beer (or water or broth)
- 4 submarine or hoagie rolls
- 8 slices Provolone cheese
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Heat a large sauté pan with a lid over medium-high heat. Lightly coat bottom of pan with oil.
Add sausages and brown well on all sides.
Remove from pan and set aside.
Add peppers and onion. Season with salt and pepper. Sauté until just browned. If bits on bottom of pan start to burn, add a few tablespoons of water and stir.
Add garlic and stir for 30 seconds.
Add seasoning, vinegar and beer and return sausages to pan. Nestle sausages into peppers and onions. Cover pan, reduce heat and simmer for 7-10 minutes, or until sausages are cooked through.
Remove cover, increase heat and boil until almost all liquid evaporates.
Heat broiler to high.
Split rolls and fill with sausage and peppers.
Top with cheese and heat under broiler until just melted.