- 1/3 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1 small shallot, peeled and cut into quarters
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon honey
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- 2 medium beets (about 1 pound), peeled and cut into small wedges
- 4 cups mixed greens or baby arugula
- 4 ounces crumbled blue cheese or goat cheese
- 1/2 cup glazed walnuts or pecans
Heat oven to 350˚F.
To make dressing, put the balsamic vinegar, olive oil, shallot, Dijon mustard and honey in a food processer or blender. Blend until smooth and season to taste with salt and pepper.
Place beets in small baking dish. Drizzle 1/4 cup of the dressing over the beets and toss. Cover and bake until tender (25-45 minutes depending on size).
Place greens on four individual plates and top with beets. Drizzle with vinaigrette and sprinkle with cheese and glazed nuts.