- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 pound Andouille sausage, sliced into 1/2-rounds
- 2 cups diced onions
- 1 green pepper, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 (15-ounce) cans red kidney beans, with liquid
- 3/4 cup chicken stock
- 1 pound smoked ham hock
- 1 tablespoon Cajun seasoning
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 1/2 cups long-grain white rice cooked according to package directions
- Chopped fresh cilantro or parsley to garnish
Place Dutch oven over medium heat. Add oil and onions and cook until translucent. Add Cajun seasoning and cook for two minutes or until fragrant. Add pepper, garlic and sausage and cook, stirring frequently, for 10 minutes. Add beans and their liquid, chicken stock, ham hock and bay leaf. Bring to a boil, reduce to low and simmer for 30 minutes.
Serve over rice and garnish with cilantro or parsley.