- 1 cup freshly squeezed orange juice (about 2 oranges)
- 2 tablespoons orange liqueur (optional)
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 package panettone or a pound cake, cubed
- 1 pint (2 cups) whipping cream
- 1/4-1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1 1/4 cups homemade or prepared whole-berry cranberry sauce
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds, toasted
To make orange syrup, place orange juice, orange liqueur and sugar in a saucepan over medium heat. Bring to a boil and cook 3-5 minutes until reduced by half and thickened. Cool completely.
Whip cream until it starts to thicken. Add sugar and continue whipping until it forms soft peaks.
Place cranberry sauce in a large bowl. Add 1/4 of the whipped cream and stir to combine. Fold in remaining cream. Place half the panettone cubes in a trifle dish and drizzle with half of the orange syrup.
Cover with half of the cream and half of the almonds. Repeat all layers.
If you're making your own cranberry sauce, it can be made three days ahead. The orange syrup can be made three days ahead. The cranberry cream can be made one day ahead. This dessert can also be made in wine glasses for individual trifles.