- 4 (6-oz.) opah steaks, about 1-inch thick, thawed
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3/4 cup dry white wine
- Zest and juice of 1 lemon
- 1 tablespoon finely minced shallot
- 1 tablespoon nonpareil capers, drained
- 1/4 cup minced fresh, flat-leaf parsley
- Kosher salt to taste
- Pinch freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons butter
Rinse steaks, pat dry with paper towels and place in a shallow glass baking dish. In a small bowl, combine wine, lemon zest and juice, shallots, capers and parsley.
Pour over fish, turning to coat. Marinate at room temperature for 15 minutes or in refrigerator for 1 hour.
In a grill pan or regular non-stick pan, add olive oil and heat over high heat. Season fish with salt and pepper. Reserve marinade. When pan is hot, add steaks and sear until browned on each side.
For medium-rare, cook about 2 minutes per side, turning once. For medium, cook 2 minutes more per side until fish flakes.
Remove to cutting board or warmed plate to rest. In a small saucepan, bring remaining marinade to a rapid boil for 1 minute. Turn off heat. Add butter.
Serve steaks on warmed dinner plates with a tablespoon of sauce spooned over.