- 1 large prepared pizza crust, or 4-6 flatbreads
- 1-2 slightly ripe-yet-firm pears, halved, cored and thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup honey to drizzle
- About 1/2 pound of your favorite blue cheese
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large sweet onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 1 medium fennel bulb, cored and shaved
- 3 large cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher or sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/3 cup red wine vinegar
Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-low heat; add onion, fennel and garlic. Sauté, stirring occasionally, until translucent (about 10 minutes). Add brown sugar, salt and pepper. Cook for about 20 minutes more or until golden and caramelized. Add vinegar and cook for 3 more minutes or until vinegar is absorbed and mixture is somewhat gooey looking. Allow to cool slightly.
Spread onion mixture over a par-baked crust and top with pear slices and crumbled cheese. Bake in an oven or on a grill preheated to 500°F for 3-5 minutes. Drizzle lightly with honey and cut into wedges.
This makes a great appetizer.