- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil or ghee
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 2 large cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon hot smoked paprika (use sweet smoked if you have a low heat tolerance)
- 1 tablespoon Berbere or Harissa spice blend, or curry powder (Bulk Foods)
- 1 medium sweet potato, peeled and diced (about 3 cups)
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can vegetable or chicken broth
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can chickpeas, drained
- 1/3 cup chopped cilantro, plus more to garnish
- Half of one preserved lemon or 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 (6 ounce) bag fresh spinach
- Salt and pepper to taste
Heat oil or ghee in a saucepan over medium heat. Add onion, cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add garlic, cook for 2 minutes; add spices, cook for 2 more minutes. Add sweet potatoes and broth. Bring to a boil; reduce to a simmer and cover. Cook for 10 minutes. The sweet potatoes should be almost tender. Add tomatoes, cilantro and lemon. Cook for about 10 more minutes uncovered or until reduced, thickened and the sweet potatoes are tender. Add spinach a handful at a time until it's all incorporated. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
This is a great side dish that is even better the second day.