- 1 cup unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 1/2 cups quick-cooking oats
- 1/4 cup chia seeds
- 1/4 cup freshly ground flax seeds
- 1 cup dark chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup almond butter (peanut butter works great, too)
- 1/2 cup dried cherries (use raisins if you use peanut butter)
Grease a 9x9-inch baking dish. Melt butter in a sauce pan over medium heat. Stir in brown sugar, salt and vanilla. Stir to melt sugar. Add oats, chia seeds and ground flax seeds. Cook over low heat, stirring constantly until well combined - about 3 minutes. Press half the mixture into the bottom of the prepared pan.
Meanwhile, melt the chocolate chips with the almond or peanut butter in a heavy sauce pan over low heat, stirring frequently until melted and smooth. Pour chocolate mixture over the crust in the pan. Spread evenly to cover. Crumble the remaining oats and seeds mixture over the top along with the cherries or raisins. Press gently. Cover, refrigerate for 2-3 hours before serving or overnight. Bring to room temperature and cut into bars.