- 1/4 cup diced dried apricots
- 1/4 cup warm stock
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup chopped yellow onion
- 1 pound lean ground beef or lamb
- Kosher salt and black pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 (14 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 1/4 cups cooked long-grain rice
- 1/4 cup pine nuts, toasted
- 4 large bell peppers, halved and seeded
- 1 cup crumbled feta cheese
Preheat oven to 350°F.
In a small bowl, soak apricots in warm stock and set aside.
In a large skillet, sauté onion in oil over medium-high heat for 30 seconds.
Add ground beef. Season lightly and cook until meat is browned and cooked through, stirring to break up big pieces as necessary.
Drain any excess fat, if desired.
Add vinegar, spices, garlic, tomatoes, apricots and soaking liquid. Simmer for 10 minutes.
Add rice and pine nuts. Stir well to combine and continue to cook until just heated through.
Place pepper halves in a 9x13-inch baking dish.
Spoon mixture evenly in each pepper and top with cheese.
Cover and bake for 30 minutes.
Remove cover and bake for another 20 minutes, until cheese is lightly browned and peppers are tender.
Variations include using sliced almonds instead of pine nuts, capers instead of red wine vinegar and raisins instead of dried apricots. Make even healthier by substituting ground chicken or turkey.