- 1 pound ground beef (23% fat)
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 (15-oz.) can each of black beans and white kidney or cannellini beans
- 1 (14.5-oz.) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (15-oz.) can tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 3 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 3 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon each of allspice and nutmeg
- 3 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 - 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper to taste
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/4 pound (4 ounces) bittersweet chocolate, chopped
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Sour cream to garnish
Heat a large soup pot or Dutch oven over medium-high heat.
Brown ground beef. Remove with a slotted spoon and drain fat from pan. Reduce heat to medium. Add garlic and onion. Season lightly with salt. Stir occasionally until tender, about five minutes. Add beans, tomatoes, vinegar and Worcestershire. Stir to combine. Add remaining ingredients. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Simmer, uncovered, stirring occasionally, for about two hours. Adjust seasoning and serve topped with sour cream.