- 2 matzo crackers
- 2 eggs
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 2 teaspoons butter or vegetable oil
Break matzo into two-inch pieces and place in a bowl.
Pour hot water over and soak for one minute. Drain and gently squeeze out excess water without crushing matzos.
In another bowl, beat eggs and add salt and pepper. Pour over matzos and gently mix well.
In a large skillet, heat oil. When hot, add matzo mixture and fry until brown on one side. Turn over and fry on other side until brown.
Serve hot, with sour cream if desired.
• Sweet Matzo Brei: Omit the salt and pepper. Add vanilla and/or cinnamon to eggs. Top with powdered sugar or maple syrup after cooking.
• Onion Matzo Brei: Sauté 1/4 of a yellow or red onion until browned, then pour matzo mixture over and fry as above.
• Add any other ingredients as desired!