- 6 cups reduced-sodium chicken or vegetable broth
- 3/4 pound broccoli (or broccolini or broccoli rabe), trimmed and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large shallot, minced
- 2 cups Arborio rice
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 4 tablespoons butter
- Juice and zest of 1 medium lemon
- 1 tablespoon chopped flat-leaf parsley
- Salt and fresh ground pepper to taste
Heat broth to a simmer in a medium saucepan.
Bring a large sauté pan of salted water to a boil. Add broccoli and cook just until color brightens and broccoli is tender but still crisp, about 2-3 minutes. Remove from boiling water and place in ice water immediately. Drain well, set aside and return pan to stove and use it to heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add shallot and sauté until just translucent. Add rice and stir constantly until coated with oil and fragrant, 2-3 minutes. Add wine and continue stirring until absorbed. Lightly season with salt and pepper.
Add 1 cup of the warmed broth to rice and stir frequently until almost completely absorbed. Continue adding broth, about 3/4 cup at a time, until rice is cooked, but still al dente.
Place a spoonful of risotto on a plate. If it sits up without spreading, add a little extra broth. Add Parmesan and butter and stir until melted. Stir in broccoli, lemon juice and zest and parsley. Adjust seasoning to taste and serve immediately.