- 2 1/2 pounds lamb stew meat or cubed lamb leg
- 2 tablespoons curry powder (mild or spicy, your choice)
- 2 teaspoons garam masala
- 1 serrano chile, slit lengthwise
- Ghee or vegetable oil
- 1 large onion, grated
- 3 large cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can diced tomatoes or about 2 cups diced fresh tomatoes
- 1/2 cup plain yogurt
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
In a large mixing bowl, toss lamb with spices.
Heat a large, heavy-bottomed pot or Dutch oven over medium-high heat.
Coat bottom of pan with ghee or oil.
Add lamb, spices and chile to pan.
Brown well, working in batches if necessary.
Add onion, garlic and ginger and cook for 1-2 minutes.
Add bay leaves and tomatoes.
Season with salt and pepper.
Add enough water to just cover lamb.
Reduce heat and simmer for 35-45 minutes, or until lamb is tender.
If sauce is still watery, increase heat and boil for a few minutes to thicken.
Stir in yogurt and adjust seasoning to taste.
Garnish with green onions and serve hot with steamed basmati rice.