- 1 1/2 pounds ground lamb
- Olive oil
- 1 large yellow onion, diced
- 2-3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 1/2 tablespoons mild chili powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon each cinnamon, thyme and mustard powder
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can diced tomatoes, drained
- 2 cups water (or more if necessary)
- 1-1 1/2 tablespoons cornmeal (optional)
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 jalapeño, seeded and minced
- 1 (15 ounce) can white or yellow hominy, drained
In a large, heavy-bottomed pot or Dutch oven, cook lamb over medium heat until cooked through, but not browned.
Remove to a bowl and return pot to heat.
Add onion and season with salt. Cook until translucent, about 10 minutes.
Add garlic and spices. Stir for 1 minute or until fragrant.
Add tomatoes, water and cooked lamb. Simmer for 1 hour, stirring occasionally.
Adjust seasoning to taste. If chili is too thin, add cornmeal as needed and simmer for 5 minutes to thicken.
To make hominy, melt butter over medium heat.
Add jalapeño and season with salt. Cook for 5 minutes.
Add hominy and stir to heat through.
To serve, spoon hominy into bowls and top with chili.