- Coconut oil
- 3 cups thinly sliced shallots
- 8 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 2 stalks lemon grass, trimmed and smashed
- 2 tablespoons finely grated ginger
- 10 cups chicken broth
- 3 cups cooked and cooled jasmine rice
- 1 pound ground pork or chicken
- 4 tablespoons fish sauce
- 3 tablespoons chili-garlic sauce
- 1 cup chopped cilantro
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice
- Hard-cooked eggs and fried shallots for garnish
Heat coconut oil in a large stockpot and sauté shallots until browned.
Add garlic, lemon grass, ginger, broth and rice and bring to a gentle boil. Reduce heat and simmer 15 minutes, uncovered. Remove and discard lemon grass.
While simmering, combine meat, fish sauce and chili-garlic sauce and form into meatballs. Gently add to stockpot with cilantro and lime juice and simmer until cooked through.
Garnish with fried shallots and hard-cooked eggs.