- 3 cups red wine
- 8 cups beef broth, divided
- 3 tablespoons each ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon mild chile powder
- 1 teaspoon chipotle chile powder
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup lard
- 2 pounds ground beefalo
- 2 large yellow onions, diced
- 10 large cloves garlic, minced
- 2 red bell peppers and 3 poblano peppers, seeded and diced
- 1 cup finely grated Parmesan cheese
- 3 (15-oz.) cans cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- Shredded sharp white Cheddar, chopped chives for garnish
In a saucepan, bring wine and 4 cups beef broth to a boil. Boil until reduced to about 1 1/2 cups.
Meanwhile, heat a large, heavy-bottomed soup pot or Dutch oven over medium heat. Add cumin, chili powder, chipotle powder and flour. Stir constantly until flour is lightly toasted and spices are fragrant, about 2 minutes. Add butter and stir until melted and combined.
Remove butter-flour mixture to a small bowl and set aside. Wipe pan and return to medium-high heat. Melt lard and add beef. Season lightly with salt and pepper.
Brown beef, then remove from pan and set aside. Add onions to pan and sauté until just tender. Add garlic and stir for about 1 minute. Add peppers and stir until peppers are tender, 4-5 minutes. Return butter-flour mixture to pot and stir. Slowly stir in reduced wine-broth mixture. Return beef to pan with Parmesan, beans and remaining broth. Season with salt and pepper. Reduce heat and simmer for 1-2 hours.
Serve topped with shredded cheese and chives.