- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 1/2 large onions, diced
- 1 pound ground pork
- 2 pounds coarse ground chuck
- 1 large green pepper, diced
- 1 roasted red pepper, diced (Antipasto bar)
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 tablespoons cumin
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1 (7 ounce) can diced green chiles
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can whole tomatoes, roughly chopped
- 1 (15 ounce) can kidney beans
- 1 (15 ounce) can chili beans
- 1 (15 ounce) can pinto beans
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 pound grated sharp cheddar cheese
Heat a large, heavy-bottomed soup pot or Dutch oven over medium-high heat and melt butter.
Add onion and sauté until lightly browned.
Add meat. Stir occasionally until browned, breaking up meat as it cooks.
Add green pepper, roasted red pepper, chili powder, cumin and garlic salt. Stir for 30 seconds.
Add remaining ingredients except cheese.
Season with salt and pepper and bring to a boil.
Reduce heat and simmer for at least 45 minutes.
Serve with topped with grated cheese, or spoon chili into ovenproof bowls, top with cheese and place under heated broiler until bubbly.