- 1 lb. boneless chicken thighs, with skin
- 1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger
- 2 cloves garlic, minced or pressed
- 2 teaspoons black pepper
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce or coconut aminos
- 1 tablespoon saké (Japanese rice wine)
- Vegetable oil for frying
- 1 cup potato starch or corn starch
- Lemon wedges
- Japanese-style mayonnaise
Cut chicken into bite-size pieces. Combine ginger, garlic, pepper, soy sauce and saké and pour over chicken. Marinate for at least one hour.
Lightly dust chicken with potato starch, making sure to shake off any excess.
In a deep pan, heat vegetable oil until a “test” piece of chicken cooks quickly (350°F). Fry chicken until golden brown and place onto a paper towel. Serve with lemon wedges and the mayonnaise for dipping.