- 1 cup farro
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 links Italian sausage
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup each chopped onion, celery, carrots
- 2 teaspoons Italian herb blend
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 4 cups chopped chard
- 1/3 cup chopped Italian parsley
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Red chili pepper to taste
- Grated Parmesan and olive oil to serve
Soak farro in water for 2 hours or up to overnight.
Rinse, drain and set aside.
Heat oil in a medium saucepan.
Remove casings and add sausage to pan, breaking up as it cooks.
Remove from pan and set aside.
Add more oil to pan if dry.
Add garlic, onion, celery and carrot.
Cook for about 5 minutes over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally.
Add herbs, stir and cook for another minute.
Add tomatoes, broth and farro and cook for 40 minutes.
Return sausage to pan along with chard and parsley.
Cook for 10 more minutes.
Serve in warmed bowls with a drizzle of olive oil and sprinkle of Parmesan.