- 3 bell peppers (red or green)
- 1 cup cooked brown rice
- Olive or vegetable oil
- 1 pound Italian sausage (if links, remove casing)
- 1/2 cup each chopped mushrooms, onion and celery
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 1/2 cups grated mozzarella, divided
- Salt and freshly grated pepper
Preheat oven to 350°F.
Cut peppers in half lengthwise. Remove stem and seeds, wrap in foil and bake 15 minutes. Remove from oven, remove foil and set aside.
Heat a large skillet to medium-high and drizzle lightly with oil. Add sausage and brown well, breaking it up as it cooks. Use a slotted spoon to remove sausage, leaving about 1 tablespoon fat in the skillet.
Add mushrooms, onions, celery and garlic. Stir occasionally for about 5 minutes or until just tender. Stir in tomato paste. Remove from heat.
Stir in sausage, rice and one cup of cheese. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Scoop stuffing into peppers, top with remaining cheese and return to the oven for 15-20 minutes or until stuffing is heated through and cheese is melted.