- 1 1/2 cups long grain white rice
- 1 large cinnamon stick, broken into pieces
- 4 cups hot water
- 4 cups water, room temperature
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract (optional)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Ground cinnamon to garnish
Combine rice, cinnamon stick and hot water in a blender*. Pulse to coarsely grind. Transfer to a bowl and add room temperature water. Let soak at room temperature 6-8 hours or overnight.
Blend the mixture in batches until completely smooth. Strain through a cheesecloth or fine sieve into a pitcher. Stir in the sugar, vanilla and salt; stir to dissolve. Chill before serving. Keeps in the fridge for three days.
To serve, stir and then pour into ice-filled glasses. Garnish with ground cinnamon.
* Always take care when blending hot liquids. Never fill the blender more than halfway, remove the center plug from the lid and cover the top of the blender with a kitchen towel.