- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh rosemary*
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh thyme*
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh sage*
- 1 tablespoon ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons salt
- Olive oil
- 14-16 pound turkey
- Various aromatics (such as onion, carrot, celery, garlic)
- 2 cups low-sodium turkey or chicken broth
- *Reserve herb stems for turkey cavity
Combine herbs, pepper and salt in a mixing bowl. Add enough olive oil to make a thick paste.
Preheat oven to 450°F.
Empty cavity and stuff loosely with herb stems and aromatics. Gently work your hands between skin and meat of turkey, taking care not to tear skin.
Spread about 2/3 of herb mixture under skin. Spread remaining mixture over top of skin. Tuck wing tips under turkey and loosely tie legs together.
Rub outside of skin with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Place turkey on a rack in a roasting pan. Pour broth in bottom of pan.
Bake for 20 minutes. Reduce oven temperature to 325°F. Bake until a meat thermometer inserted into thickest part of thigh registers 165°F.
Remove from oven, tent with foil and let rest for 30 minutes before carving.