- 1 pound Andouille sausage or hot links, cut in 1/2-inch discs
- 2/3 cup vegetable oil (or bacon fat)
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 large yellow onion, diced
- 1 1/2 cups diced celery
- 1 green pepper, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced (or 1 teaspoon garlic powder)
- 2 quarts chicken broth
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1-2 tablespoons Cajun seasoning
- 1 pound boneless chicken meat, cut into 1-inch chunks
- 1 pound peeled and deveined medium shrimp
- 1 (16 -oz.) package frozen okra (or 2 cups fresh, cooked)
- 1 tablespoon filè powder
- 1 bunch green onions, chopped
- Cooked long-grain white rice
- 1 bunch curly parsley, chopped for garnish
Brown sausage in a small amount of oil in a large, heavy-bottomed pot. Remove from pot (leave fat). Make a roux by adding the rest of the oil and the flour. Stir constantly over medium heat for 20 minutes until it’s a rich, dark brown. Add the onion, celery, green pepper and garlic. Cook five minutes. Add the broth, bay leaves, thyme and Cajun seasoning. Stir well. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer 30-45 minutes. Add chicken and simmer 30-45 minutes. Add okra and shrimp, bring back to simmer.
Remove from heat. Stir in half the green onions, parsley and filè.
Serve on rice, topped with remaining green onions, parsley and filè powder.