- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cups sliced sweet onion
- 1 portobello mushroom, sliced
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 cup pepper jelly
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1/4 cup Gorgonzola cheese
- 1 loaf ciabatta bread
- 1 pound sirloin steak, thinly sliced
- 8 slices provolone cheese
- 1 handful arugula
Heat oil in skillet over medium heat. Add onion and cook until it begins to brown. Add mushroom with a pinch of salt and pepper and cook 5 minutes or until browned and softened. Add balsamic and cook 2 minutes. Remove mixture from pan and set aside to cool.
While mushroom mixture is cooking, mix together jelly, butter and Gorgonzola until combined. Slice bread in half horizontally and spread both sides with cheese mixture, then top each with 4 slices provolone. Sprinkle steak with salt and pepper and cook in mushroom mixture pan for one minute on each side. Lay cooked steak on bottom half of bread, top with mushrooms and then arugula. Sandwich can be eaten cold, warmed in panini press or baked at 400°F for 10 minutes.