- 1 medium green mango, peeled and shredded
- 1 small jicama, peeled and shredded
- 1/2 cup Thai basil, chiffonade (thin strips)
- 2-3 tablespoons fried shallots
- 2 tablespoons roasted chopped peanuts
- 6 tablespoons tamarind water *
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 2 tablespoons liquid palm sugar or caster sugar ^
- 2 teaspoons sambal olek
Toss all ingredients together in a serving bowl. Whisk together dressing ingredients and toss with salad.
* Add 1/2 cup boiling water to 3 tablespoons wet tamarind. Mash pulp into water, then pour through a fine strainer. Press to remove all liquid and discard solids. Save any extra for another use.
^ Place one bag palm sugar in a heavy saucepan with 1 cup water. Cook over medium heat for about 10 minutes or until melted and amber in color. Do not stir.