- 1 (3-pound) pumpkin
- 1 tablespoon butter, softened
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 teaspoon grated fresh horseradish
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2 cup grated Swiss cheese
- 3 slices gluten-free bread, cubed
- 1 can evaporated milk or 1 3/4 cups soy milk
- 1 teaspoon caraway seeds (optional)
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Pinch each of cayenne and nutmeg
Preheat oven to 350°F.
Cut off top of pumpkin and scoop out the seeds and strings, scraping well. Set pumpkin top aside. Place pumpkin in a 9X5-inch round cake pan. Rub butter inside pumpkin. Place remaining ingredients in pumpkin; stir to combine. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Cover top of pumpkin loosely with foil, then replace top (foil keeps top from falling into pumpkin during baking.) Bake 2 hours.
To serve, first carefully scrape some of baked pumpkin into soup and stir, keeping pumpkin shell intact, then ladle right from the pumpkin!