- 1 package (3.4 ounces) instant vanilla pudding mix
- 2 cups milk (to make the pudding, per the directions)
- 2 teaspoons lemon zest
- 6-8 cups mixed berries (blueberries, strawberries, raspberries, blackberries)
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 2 oranges
- 3 tablespoons Grand Marnier (optional)
- 3 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 pint heavy cream, whipped to stiff peaks with 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 loaf of pound or angel food cake
- 3 tablespoons toasted sliced almonds
Make pudding according to package directions with the milk. Add lemon zest. Place in refrigerator to set.
Wash, hull and slice strawberries. Rinse remaining berries (leave whole). Place all berries in a large bowl. Sprinkle with sugar. Segment the oranges over the bowl of berries to capture the juice. Add Grand Marnier, if using. Add lemon juice and stir to combine, lightly mashing fruit.
Add a quarter of the whipped cream and stir to combine. Fold in the remaining whipped cream a third at a time.
Cut pound cake into cubes and place a third of the cubes on the bottom of a 3-quart trifle dish. Cover with a third of the fruit, then a third of the pudding mixture. Repeat layers two more times. Sprinkle the toasted almonds over the last layer. Refrigerate for an hour before serving.