- 1 cup freekeh
- 1 pound red garnet yam, sweet potato or butternut squash peeled and diced (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 1/2 cup sliced shallot
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 1/2 cup toasted slivered almonds
- Crumbled blue or feta cheese to serve (optional)
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1-3 teaspoons red wine vinegar (depending on how sweet the orange is)
- 2 teaspoons orange zest
- 1/4 cup fresh orange juice
- Pinch of red chili flakes
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
Rinse the freekeh; add to a sauce pan with 1 1/4 cup water. Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer, cover and cook 20-30 minutes or until all the liquid is absorbed. Remove to a bowl to cool.
Preheat oven to 400°F. Toss the yams and shallot with 2 tablespoons olive oil and a sprinkle of salt and pepper on a sheet pan. Bake 20-30 minutes or until tender and starting to brown (stir once half way through). Cool slightly and add to the freekeh along with the cranberries and almonds. Whisk together the dressing and toss with salad. Adjust seasonings. Refrigerate for 2 hours before serving, or even better, make a day ahead. Bring to room temperature before serving. Sprinkle with cheese and serve.