- 1 cup farro
- 1 pound Central Market-brand breakfast sausage or your favorite
- 2 cups diced sweet onion
- 1/2 pound sliced mushrooms
- 1 (10-ounce) bag frozen spinach, thawed and drained
- 2 cups milk
- 6 eggs
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon each black and red chili pepper
- 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- 2 cups grated cheese – Gruyere, Fontina, provolone, mozzarella, cheddar, or your favorite
Preheat oven to 350°F. Spray an 11x7-inch baking dish with non-stick spray.
Rinse farro and place in a sauce pan covered with two inches of water. Bring to a boil, reduce to simmer, cover and cook 45 minutes. Drain excess water and set aside to cool. Meanwhile, cook sausage over medium heat, breaking it up as it cooks. Remove from pan leaving 1 tablespoon of fat in the pan (add fat if pan is dry) and reserving a tablespoon of the fat. Set sausage aside to cool. Add onions and cook for five minutes. Add to sausage.
Add the reserved tablespoon of fat to the pan and cook mushrooms until just tender. Remove from pan and add to sausage mixture. Stir in 1/2 cup grated Parmesan. Set aside to cool. Spread farro in a layer on the bottom of the prepared baking dish. Place spinach over that, then the sausage mixture over the spinach. In a separate bowl, whisk together the milk with the eggs and seasonings. Pour evenly over the spinach. Top with remaining Parmesan and grated Gruyere. Bake 20-30 minutes or until set and golden.