- 1 cup farro
- 2 cups diced sweet potatoes
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup diced sweet onion
- 2 large clove garlic, chopped
- 1 (10-ounce) bag frozen spinach, thawed and drained
- 2 cups milk
- 6 eggs, whisked with 1 tablespoon water
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1/2-1 teaspoon red chili flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- 2 cups grated cheese - Gruyere, fontina, provolone, mozzarella, cheddar or your favorite cheese
Preheat oven to 375°F.
Spray a 9x13-inch baking dish with non-stick spray. Rinse farro and place in a sauce pan, covered with two inches of water. Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer, cover and cook for 45 minutes. Drain off excess water and set aside to cool.
Meanwhile, heat oil in skillet over medium heat. Add potatoes and onions. Cook, stirring occasionally, for about 8-10 minutes or until just tender. Add the garlic and cook for 2 minutes more. Remove from pan and stir in 1/2 cup grated Parmesan. Set aside to cool. Spread farro in a layer on the bottom of the baking dish. Place spinach over that, then the potato mixture over the spinach. In a separate bowl, whisk together the milk, eggs and seasonings. Pour evenly over the potatoes and stir gently to incorporate the eggs. Top with remaining Parmesan cheese and grated Gruyere. Bake 20-30 minutes. Place under broiler for 4 minutes for a crisp, golden-brown crust.