- 2 tablespoons each butter and oil
- 1/2 cup chopped yellow onion
- 1/2 cup chopped red pepper
- 1 small poblano pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon fajita seasoning (to taste)
- 1 cup long grain white rice, rinsed*
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 -2 cups broth or water
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- Big squeeze of fresh lime juice
Heat butter and oil in a saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and both peppers, and garlic. Cook for 3 minutes. Add fajita seasoning and cook for another minutes. Add rice and cook for about 5 minutes, stirring often until starting to brown. Add salt pepper and broth or water, reduce to simmer and add 1 1/2 cups broth or water. Stir rice, cover and cook about 20 minutes. Add more liquid if rice is not tender, and continue to cook until all the liquid is absorbed and rice is tender. Fluff with fork and stir in cilantro and lime juice.
Add some black beans to this dish for some good healthy protein.
To make this with brown rice, increase liquid to 2-2 1/2 cups and increase cooking time to about 40 minutes.